Family: Mandrake Local Security Checks --> Category: infos
MDKSA-2005:083: ethereal Vulnerability Scan
Vulnerability Scan Summary
Check for the version of the ethereal package
Detailed Explanation for this Vulnerability Test
The remote host is missing the patch for the advisory MDKSA-2005:083 (ethereal).
A number of vulnerabilities were discovered in previous version of Ethereal
that have been fixed in the 0.10.11 release, including:
- The ANSI A and DHCP dissectors are vulnerable to format string
- The DISTCC, FCELS, SIP, ISIS, CMIP, CMP, CMS, CRMF, ESS, OCSP, PKIX1Explitit,
PKIX Qualified, X.509, Q.931, MEGACO, NCP, ISUP, TCAP and Presentation
dissectors are vulnerable to buffer overflows.
- The KINK, WSP, SMB Mailslot, H.245, MGCP, Q.931, RPC, GSM and SMB NETLOGON
dissectors are vulnerable to pointer handling errors.
- The LMP, KINK, MGCP, RSVP, SRVLOC, EIGRP, MEGACO, DLSw, NCP and L2TP
dissectors are vulnerable to looping problems.
- The Telnet and DHCP dissectors could abort.
- The TZSP, Bittorrent, SMB, MGCP and ISUP dissectors could cause a
- The WSP, 802.3 Slow protocols, BER, SMB Mailslot, SMB, NDPS, IAX2, RADIUS,
SMB PIPE, MRDISC and TCAP dissectors could throw assertions.
- The DICOM, NDPS and ICEP dissectors are vulnerable to memory handling errors.
- The GSM MAP, AIM, Fibre Channel,SRVLOC, NDPS, LDAP and NTLMSSP dissectors
could terminate abnormallly.
Solution : http://wwwnew.mandriva.com/security/advisories?name=MDKSA-2005:083
Threat Level: High
Click HERE for more information and discussions on this network vulnerability scan.