Family: SuSE Local Security Checks --> Category: infos
SUSE-SA:2003:002: cups Vulnerability Scan
Vulnerability Scan Summary
Check for the version of the cups package
Detailed Explanation for this Vulnerability Test
The remote host is missing the patch for the advisory SUSE-SA:2003:002 (cups).
CUPS is a well documented and widely used printing system for unix-like
systems. iDFENSE reported several security issues with CUPS that can
lead to local and remote root compromise. The following list
includes all vulnerabilities:
- integer overflow in HTTP interface to gain remote
access with CUPS rights
- local file race condition to gain root (bug mentioned
above has to be exploited first)
- remotely add printers
- remote denial-of-service attack due to negative length in
- integer overflow in image handling code to gain higher rights
- gain local root due to buffer overflow of 'options' buffer
- design problem to gain local root (needs added printer, see above)
- wrong handling of zero width images can be abused to gain higher
- file descriptor leak and denial-of-service due to missing checks
of return values of file/socket operations
Since SUSE 8.1 CUPS is the default printing system.
As a temporary workaround CUPS can be disabled and an alternative
printing system like LPRng can be installed instead.
New CUPS packages are available on our FTP servers. Please, install
them to fix your system.
Please download the update package for your distribution and verify its
integrity by the methods listed in section 3) of this announcement.
Then, install the package using the command 'rpm -Fhv file.rpm' to apply
Solution : http://www.suse.de/security/2003_002_cups.html
Threat Level: High
Click HERE for more information and discussions on this network vulnerability scan.