Family: Windows --> Category: infos
The messenger service is running Vulnerability Scan
Vulnerability Scan Summary
Searches for the existence of the messenger service
Detailed Explanation for this Vulnerability Test
The messenger service is running. This service allows
NT users to send pop-ups messages to each others.
This service can be abused by who can
trick valid users into doing some actions that may
harm their accounts or your network (social
Solution : Disable this service.
Threat Level: Low
How to disable this service under NT 4 :
- open the 'Services' control panel
- select the 'messenger' service, and click 'Stop'
- click on 'Startup...' and change to radio button of the
field 'Startup Type' from 'Automatic' to 'Disabled'
Under Windows 2000 :
- open the 'Administration tools' control panel
- open the 'Services' item in it
- double click on the 'messenger' service
- click on 'stop'
- change the drop-down menu value from the field 'Startup Type'
from 'Automatic' to 'Disabled'
Click HERE for more information and discussions on this network vulnerability scan.