Family: Ubuntu Local Security Checks --> Category: infos
USN173-4 : python2.1, python2.2, python2.3, gnumeric vulnerabilities Vulnerability Scan
Vulnerability Scan Summary
python2.1, python2.2, python2.3, gnumeric vulnerabilities
Detailed Explanation for this Vulnerability Test
These remote packages are missing security patches :
USN-173-1 fixed a buffer overflow vulnerability in the PCRE library.
However, it was found that the various python packages and gnumeric
contain static copies of the library code, so these packages need to
be updated as well.
In gnumeric this bug could be exploited to execute arbitrary code with
the rights of the user if the user was tricked into opening a
specially crafted spreadsheet document.
In python, the impact depends on the particular application that uses
python's "re" (regular expression) module. In python server
applications that process unchecked arbitrary regular expressions with
the "re" module, this could potentially be exploited to remotely
execute arbitrary code with the rights of the server.
Upgrade to :
- gnumeric-1.4.2-1ubuntu3.1 (Ubuntu 5.04)
- gnumeric-common-1.4.2-1ubuntu3.1 (Ubuntu 5.04)
- gnumeric-doc-1.4.2-1ubuntu3.1 (Ubuntu 5.04)
- gnumeric-tests-extra-1.4.2-1ubuntu3.1 (Ubuntu 5.04)
- idle-python2.1-2.1.3-24.ubuntu0.1 (Ubuntu 4.10)
- idle-python2.2-2.2.3dfsg-1ubuntu0.1 (Ubuntu 5.04)
- idle-python2.3-2.3.5-2ubuntu0.1 (Ubuntu 5.04)
- python2.1-2.1.3-24.ubuntu0.1 (Ubuntu 4.10)
- python2.1-dev-2.1.3-24.ubuntu0.1 (Ubuntu 4.10)
- python2.1-doc-2.1.3-24.ubuntu0.1 (Ubuntu 4.10)
Threat Level: High
Click HERE for more information and discussions on this network vulnerability scan.