Family: Ubuntu Local Security Checks --> Category: infos
USN200-1 : mozilla-thunderbird vulnerabilities Vulnerability Scan
Vulnerability Scan Summary
Detailed Explanation for this Vulnerability Test
These remote packages are missing security patches :
A buffer overflow was discovered in the XBM image handler. By tricking
an user into opening a specially crafted XBM image, a possible hacker could
exploit this to execute arbitrary code with the user's rights.
Mats Palmgren discovered a buffer overflow in the Unicode string
parser. Unicode strings that contained "zero-width non-joiner"
characters caused a browser crash, which could possibly even exploited
to execute arbitrary code with the user's rights.
This could be exploited to run arbitrary code under some conditions.
Peter Zelezny discovered that URLs which are passed to Thunderbird on the
command line are not correctly protected against interpretation by the shell.
If Thunderbird is configured as the default handler for "mailto:" URLs, this
could be exploited to execute arbitrary code with user rights by tricking
the user into clicking on a specially crafted URL (for example
Upgrade to :
- mozilla-enigmail-0.92-1ubuntu05.04.2 (Ubuntu 5.04)
- mozilla-thunderbird-1.0.7-0ubuntu05.04 (Ubuntu 5.04)
- mozilla-thunderbird-dev-1.0.7-0ubuntu05.04 (Ubuntu 5.04)
- mozilla-thunderbird-enigmail-0.92-1ubuntu05.04.2 (Ubuntu 5.04)
- mozilla-thunderbird-inspector-1.0.7-0ubuntu05.04 (Ubuntu 5.04)
- mozilla-thunderbird-offline-1.0.7-0ubuntu05.04 (Ubuntu 5.04)
- mozilla-thunderbird-typeaheadfind-1.0.7-0ubuntu05.04 (Ubuntu 5.04)
Threat Level: High
Click HERE for more information and discussions on this network vulnerability scan.