Family: Ubuntu Local Security Checks --> Category: infos
USN33-1 : libgd vulnerabilities Vulnerability Scan
Vulnerability Scan Summary
Detailed Explanation for this Vulnerability Test
These remote packages are missing security patches :
CVE-2004-0990 described several buffer overflows which had been
discovered in libgd's PNG handling functions. Another update is
required because the update from USN-21-1 was not sufficient to
prevent every possible attack.
If a possible hacker tricks a user into loading a malicious PNG or XPM
image, they could leverage this into executing arbitrary code in the
context of the user opening image.
This vulnerability might lead to privilege escalation in customized
systems that use server applications which link libgd. However, Warty
does not ship such server applications (PHP in Warty uses libgd2 which
was already fixed in USN-25-1).
Upgrade to :
- libgd-dev-1.8.4-36ubuntu0.2 (Ubuntu 4.10)
- libgd-noxpm-dev-1.8.4-36ubuntu0.2 (Ubuntu 4.10)
- libgd-xpm-dev-1.8.4-36ubuntu0.2 (Ubuntu 4.10)
- libgd1-1.8.4-36ubuntu0.2 (Ubuntu 4.10)
- libgd1-noxpm-1.8.4-36ubuntu0.2 (Ubuntu 4.10)
- libgd1-xpm-1.8.4-36ubuntu0.2 (Ubuntu 4.10)
Threat Level: High
Click HERE for more information and discussions on this network vulnerability scan.