Family: Mandrake Local Security Checks --> Category: infos
MDKSA-2003:074: kernel Vulnerability Scan
Vulnerability Scan Summary
Check for the version of the kernel package
Detailed Explanation for this Vulnerability Test
The remote host is missing the patch for the advisory MDKSA-2003:074 (kernel).
Multiple vulnerabilities were discovered and fixed in the Linux kernel.
* CVE-2003-0001: Multiple ethernet network card drivers do not pad frames with
null bytes which allows remote attackers to obtain information from previous
packets or kernel memory by using special malformed packets.
* CVE-2003-0244: The route cache implementation in the 2.4 kernel and the
Netfilter IP conntrack module allows remote attackers to cause a Denial of
Service (DoS) via CPU consumption due to packets with forged source addresses
that cause a large number of hash table collisions related to the PREROUTING
* CVE-2003-0246: The ioperm implementation in 2.4.20 and earlier kernels does
not properly restrict rights, which allows local users to gain read or write
access to certain I/O ports.
* CVE-2003-0247: A vulnerability in the TTY layer of the 2.4 kernel allows
attackers to cause a kernel oops resulting in a DoS.
* CVE-2003-0248: The mxcsr code in the 2.4 kernel allows attackers to modify CPU
state registers via a malformed address.
* CVE-2003-0462: A file read race existed in the execve() system call.
Kernels for 9.1/x86 are also available (see MDKSA-2003:066).
MandrakeSoft encourages all users to upgrade to these new kernels.
For full instructions on how to properly upgrade your kernel, please review
Solution : http://wwwnew.mandriva.com/security/advisories?name=MDKSA-2003:074
Threat Level: High
Click HERE for more information and discussions on this network vulnerability scan.